Sunday, October 26, 2008

How to Tame Your Fear?

Do you have fears? Fear of failure? Fear of losing your money in an investment? Fear of mice? Fear of cockroaches?

I have a fear of "heights". I believe some of you are with me on this one?

Any fear is difficult to eliminate forever. What is fear?

FEAR is "False Expectation Appearing Real". When you 'expect' something, it has to do with the 'future'. It does not deal with the 'present'.

As you are aware, the 'future' is not 'now'. If you just be 'in the now', your 'expectation' (which is connected to your future, or your past experience) does not exist. So you will not have your fear.

I overcame (tamed, but not eliminated) my fear of heights through the above principle of 'being in the now'. And taking action!

To climb a ladder at home to fix a defective electric light bulb is not my cup of tea. I always pass the cup of tea to my wife (who is shorter than me). When I am in a lift with a view (i.e. "a glass lift"), I would stand furthest from the glass/view.

Last week, for an exercise, I stood in front of a 20 metres (I think ... anyway, more than 5 metres is the sky to me!) tall tree trunk. It had been sawn-off at the top, so that there was a circular platform for you to stand on it. You are then required to raise your arms/hands, straight at the sides (so you look like a T). Then you jump off!

Of course, you are tied to a safety harness, so that your fall can be controlled by the guy (or five guys - if you are heavily-built like a fully grown bear or bull).

There were 14 of us at the tree trunk. I was thinking of volunteering first; so that I could get over the exercise. To get over the fear. But my fear was stronger than my mouth to speak, so I decided to keep quiet and generously give the honor to someone else.

The first guy was on top of the tree trunk "platform". It was shaking ... the platform was visibly and clearly shaking, and swaying to and fro like a pendulum. But he managed to stand upright, lifted his arms at the side, and then with a shout (to provide courage?) he leapt off the platform. No ... he didn't become a messy mass of splattered meat and bones! The safety harness controlled his jump/fall.

After a few of the 14-member mini-tribe had climbed and jumped (including a member of the weaker sex - a complete misnomer, don't you think so?) I did not want to be the last person. I did not want to be petrified, and freeze on the way up the ladder, or at the top of the tree trunk. "The longer I wait, the more that my body (especially the arms and legs) would freeze", I thought to myself.

The first few steps of the ladder was a cinch. But the higher I went, the more apprehensive I became. I did my best not to think of anything, except getting up the ladder. After the top of the ladder, I had to put my legs on metal pieces driven into the tree trunk to act as the final steps to the top, and the "platform". I never looked down, even once!

I managed to put both my legs on the top of the sawn-off trunk (platform). I was in the crouching position with both my hands on the "platform". Oh for heaven's sake! The top of the trunk where I was crouching was shaking and swaying like a pendulum too! I was staring straight ahead at the tree tops, petrified! Not knowing what to do!

The lady instructor shouted, "Use your hands to push your body up!", so that I could stand. But because the top was still shaking and swaying too much, I just did not dare make any further move.

I decided to breathe deeply to calm my nerves . It worked! The top was no more shaking and swaying significantly. It appears that if the cells of your body are calm, they will transfer that feeling to the tree trunk! My shaking and vibrating body had caused the top of the tree trunk to vibrate and sway! Talk about the Law of Cause and Effect!

I pushed with my hands, and I was standing! I stretched my arms. Then, with a shout, I jumped. The safety harness broke my fall. I was then gently and slowly lowered down. I did it!

How did I tame my fear? Two key words/phrases : "Action" and "Don't Think!"

By taking action, you are in the "now", in the "present" - not the future (i.e. thinking "what will happen if I fall?").

By not thinking, you are in your body - not in your mind. It is your mind that gives you the fear (false expectations appearing real).

The moral of the story? You can tame your fear of anything if you use the two principles above - "Action", and "Don't Think!".

If you are thinking of whether to start a business or not, you may be fearful of losing your investment; or of not making it. Don't think, just do the business! If you are thinking of investing $50,000 in properties and are fearful ("What if the economy goes into a tail-spin like the share-markets around the world today?"). Don't think, just invest! The Universe will come to your assistance once you have decided to take action! The Universe is not going to you if you are just sitting ... and expecting everything you desire to fall on your lap!

Wishing you Success in your undertakings, and Good Health and Wealth to you and your family. Take care!

P.S. I told my dear wife that I climbed up a 20 metre tree. With a sceptical look and a cynical smile, she said, "Oh yes! You did!". She does not believe me! Oh well, you can't win all the time! Furthermore, she's getting rather good at changing the electric bulb at home.

P.P.S. How many times did I climb that day? Four (4) times! All different exercises, but going up towards the sky! Would I do it again? Ermmm ... can you make me an offer? Say ... $1,000,000? Too much? O.K. ... $50,000?

P.P.P.S. My other fear is an injection (you know, with a needle?). Paid for a 40+ blood tests. I have been injected before because of necessity (vaccinations), but never volunteered to give blood or have blood taken from me. On 31st January 2009 had 5 ml of my blood voluntarily taken from me. No big achievement for regular blood donors, I know, but a big taming of my fear for me.

No comments: